The latest major version of SysIcon is number 2. It brings a lot of more changable icons of which the most can also be set per user (which was not possible for any icon in the preceding version). The icon locations in the registry are working properly with Windows® XP now.
SysIcon 2.0.2603 - main form and icon selection dialog
SysIcon 2 is in alpha state at the moment. Alpha means, the version is not yet throughly tested and not all features have been implemented yet. The program may still be buggy and I appreciate if you report bugs at SysIcon's bug tracker. Anyway you should not be scared off by this and should give it a try. The latest version usually carries many enhancements over a version considered to be "stable". But if you are working in a productive environment you should better use stable or at least beta versions.
- Change several dozens of Windows® icons
- New: set icons differently from user to user
- Select icons with a dialog similar to that one built in Windows® (which you use e.g. to change shortcuts' icons)
- Three mouse clicks to reset an icon to Windows® default
- New: All locations to set one specific icon are supervisable, you see if an other icon setting says something else than your's, eventually overwriting it.
- New: If you just want to set an icon that crosses your eyes in the Windows® UI you might not want to mess around with different setting places rather than simply changing the icon. Then you'll want to try the "Simple Mode" where the list of different setting locations for one specific system icon is hidden (you just overwrite as much settings with your new ones as you are allowed to)
- New: Instant saving of changed icons so you don't have to hit Ctrl+S all the time (can be turned off)
- New: If you haven't got the required administrative rights to change an icon, you are not even given the chance in the UI - this prevents confusing 'access denied'-errors...
- New: icons differing from Windows® default setting are highlighted
- Improved: Icons are now displayed in a list rather than beeing selectable in a choice box like in SysIcon's first generation
Still missing features:
- The export and import icon library feature - it is underway, but there are still some problems to fix. Stay patient, please
- Incomplete (minimal) German translation by now.
- Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
- Installed Microsoft® .NET framework 2.0
- some icon files or libraries containing the images that the Windows® ones shall be replaced with
|Executables||The minimal amount of files required to run SysIcon. Download this, if you are sure, .NET framework 2.0 is installed, and if you want to keep the cluttering of your system as small as possible. Just download and unzip the archive whereever appreciated.|
|ClickOnce installer archive||You should use this one if you do not know whether the .NET framework 2.0 is installed or not. Unzip the installer and run “setup.exe”. This will also create shortcuts in the start menu. Administrator privilegies are NOT required to perform the installation.|
|Sourcecode||SysIcon's sourcecode. Microsoft® Visual C# 2005 Express solution. Should work with SharpDevelop but no warranty here.|